The Ontario School Boards' Insurance Exchange (OSBIE) has established an overall claims philosophy to fulfill its commitment to school boards to provide efficient and knowledgeable claims handling service.
The OSBIE philosophy is as follows:
- To identify promptly any incident which may give rise to a claim against or by any subscribing school board.
- To investigate thoroughly such claims to determine the potential liability of either OSBIE and/or the school board.
- To establish realistic reserves on a timely basis in order to project an accurate assessment of OSBIE's liabilities.
- Where liability exists, to negotiate fair and prompt settlements.
- Equally important to claims handling is risk management. OSBIE is firmly committed to reducing the frequency of school board claims through prudent loss control and risk management.
In order to carry out these goals, OSBIE has established a Claims Department to manage all aspects of school board claims including directing independent adjusters, legal counsel and other professionals.